Staff and cadets from Sarasota Military Academy (SMA), a local, public charter school, are celebrating a banner year of events, recognition, program awards, staff successes and cadet achievements in 2019.
“We are incredibly proud of the hard work, dedication and commitment to our Academy and education shown through the achievements of our staff and cadets in 2019,” said SMA-COL Christina Bowman, Sarasota Military Executive Director of Schools.”Each year, we continue to be pleasantly surprised by how our Academy has grown and flourished. We are excited to celebrate another successful year and we look forward to all we will achieve in 2020!”
A list of notable achievements includes:
- The Operation Outbreak (O2) program, created by Dr. Todd Brown for the cadets at SMA Prep, was named the world’s most innovative hybrid learning program at the Reimagine Education Awards Ceremony in London
- Dr. Todd Brown, SMA Outreach Director, was named the “STEM teacher of the Year” by the Florida West Coast chapter of the Air Force Association
- Dr. Brown presented the Operation Outbreak (O2) program at conferences including the IB Conference in New Orleans, the Education Summit in China and was also accepted into a CDC fellowship for 2019 – 2020
- SMA-MAJ Marissa Dobbert, a 7th grade teacher at SMA Prep middle school, earned the Vern Buchanan Congressional Teacher Award and the title of the Sarasota County Middle School Teacher of the Year
- The Academy hosted the first annual SMA Education Summit for teachers throughout the region
- SMA cadets & staff partnered with Gold Aviation Services and companies and organizations around the region to supply relief to people in the Bahamas affected by the devastation from Hurricane Dorian
- SMA high school cadets achieved personal and athletic goals: Dante Aletto committed to the Air Force Academy through his accomplishments on the Rifle Team and was recently awarded a spot to the 2020 National Junior Olympics; Mary Tucker, a 2018 graduate, was recognized as a top leader during the 2020 USA Olympic Team competitions in Tokyo; Juliana Rendle received the Legion of Valor Achievement Award and was recognized by the Mayor of SRQ and Commissioner Shelli Freeland Eddie with a proclamation naming November 4, “Juliana Rendle Day,” and Abigail Koester chosen as one of the youngest youth delegates for the World Summit of Nobel Peace Laureates in Merida, Mexico
- Cadets received a grant for an eco-friendly project during the annual Mote Marine Youth Ocean Conservation Summit
- The SMA student documentary, “Heroines in Arms Serving Proudly” won a national award at the SRQ Film Festival
- Eight SMA graduates are currently attending the United States Military Academy at West Point
“As we celebrate our many accomplishments, we also look forward to finding opportunities for funding that will enable us to continue to grow our Academy and impact our community. This year, charter schools in our community were not included in the recent $1 million donation given to the Education Foundation, meant for instructors in Sarasota County,” said SMA-COL Bowman. “As a local, public charter school, we strive to find ways to create opportunities for funding, while we create opportunities and resources for our cadets and staff. As we face these challenges, we know that the support of our community is vital.”
To learn more about Sarasota Military Academy, visit https://www.sarasotamilitaryacademy.org/.
About Sarasota Military Academy
Founded in 2002, Sarasota Military Academy (SMA) is a public charter school, college preparatory academy and an accredited IB Diploma and Middle Years Programme (MYP) School with two campuses located in Sarasota, Florida. Combining extraordinary academics with the highest military principles of camaraderie, focus, leadership, integrity, compassion, poise, honor and respect, SMA’s mission is to graduate young men and women who will confidently define their personal and unique goals for success in a multi-cultural and globalized world. Sarasota Military Academy High School is located at 801 N. Orange Avenue and Sarasota Military Academy Prep Middle School, is located at 3101 Bethel Lane. To learn more about SMA, visit http://www.sarasotamilitaryacademy.org/.